Sunday

Course in Political Miracles: Lesson 20



"I see clearly we are all in this together."

Last week's lesson hinted more strongly than any previous lesson at the false dichotomy people try to create in their minds between egoism and altruism, between acting in one's self-interest and acting selflessly. Such a dichotomy does not exist in reality.

A split mind sees two possibilities: what is good for me or what is good for the society I live in; me acting in my own best interests or me acting in the interests of everyone else.

If such a concept as "evil" were to have any logical meaning or purpose, a mind so split that it sees such differences would be a truly evil mind.

A whole mind sees no such dichotomy. A whole mind sees that what is truly good for me is also truly good for society; and what is truly good for society is also truly good for me.

A whole mind knows we are all in this together, but sees clearly that the good of society cannot be defined separately from, or losing sight of, the good of each individual.

For example, if a government kills only one little child because the child's parents desired to live their own lifestyle without interference, then everyone inside themselves suffers the pain of being murdered.

If a government says to only one honest, moral, non-fraudulent woman that she cannot conduct her business because the state has legislated rules, then everyone inside themselves suffers the pain of slavery.

If a government tells only one man that he cannot keep the fruit of his productive work but must give it to the state in some form of taxation, then everyone inside themselves suffers the pain of extortion and theft.

None of us following our inner spiritual nature would steal, or murder, or enslave others. Yet we allow governments to commit these acts because we have been convinced by split minds that there is a difference between our own good and society's good as a whole.

No such difference exists. What is good for one is good for all. What is harmful to even one is harmful to all.

With this week's lesson, I practice seeing with my whole mind instead of through the filter of a split mind. In some areas of my life, this might involve seeing things differently than I have ever seen before. I am willing to see things differently.

In particular, I am willing to see that we are all in this together and this knowingness, when fully experienced, brings a feeling of love toward others ... a more universal love than I might have previously felt.

In the 180 degree backward thinking of today's world, it is not always easy to see that government interference in people's lives beyond the very basic laws of existence, statism, is actually based on fear and hatred of man's free spirit while libertarianism (see The Spiritual Basis of Liberty) is really based on universal love. I am willing to see this.

This week each day as I waken I spend a few minutes meditating on this week's lesson. I remind myself that if something is truly good for me, then it is good for everyone else. I remind myself that if ever I am tempted to think that my good contradicts someone else's good, I need only ask to see things differently.

During each day with respect to everyone I see or think of, whether near or far, I say to myself:

"We are all in this together. At the deepest human level, below all surface appearances, all our interests are the same."

My goal is to say this at least 100 to 150 times a day this week, many more if possible. I especially want to say it while focusing on those who I have considered "enemies" or "opponents." Somewhere deep down inside, as human beings, their interests are the same as mine.

Then before retiring for the day I spend a few minutes looking inside myself and feeling more love than ever for mankind and for the spirit which joins all of us.



The device which more deeply prepares freedom lovers for success, A Course in Miracles , talks about our ultimate need to free ourselves from every kind of slavery:

You have been told to bring the darkness to the light, and guilt to holiness. And you have also been told that error must be corrected at its source. Therefore, it is the tiny part of your self, the little thought that seems split off and separate, that the Holy Spirit needs. The rest is fully in God's keeping, and needs no guide. But this wild and delusional thought needs help, because, in its delusions, it thinks it is the Son of God, whole and omnipotent, sole ruler of the kingdom it set apart to tyrannize by madness into obedience and slavery.



Also available free of charge online:
Course in Relationship Miracles


No comments: