Tuesday

Course in Political Miracles: Lesson 12



"I choose to rise above fear, thus teaching freedom."

Fear is the body's crisis response to the mind thinking thoughts like, "I can be harmed or hurt," "I can be deprived of something of value," "I am not able to do this without help." Such limitation-thinking is a form of subjectivism where one thinks of oneself as subject to the "mindless" thoughts or actions of others, or subject to unpredictable quirks of nature, or if such insanity has gone far enough in one's mind, subject to a malevolent universe.

No one ever asks, "What if I don't have to see myself as subject to anything?"

Motivated by fear, men and women set up governments because they think they need protection or help. The more a man is immersed in limitation-thinking the more fearful he will be and the more government he will call for. As Ayn Rand so clearly pointed out, one who feels hopelessly terrorized will call for very expansive and expensive government ... and be willing to terrorize others to pay for it.

But fear is not man's natural state. Man is a spiritual being and man's spirit literally does not know fear. When I think of the many situations in which men or women have risen far above their everyday state of mind and performed heroic, almost "miraculous" feats, I can see clearly that when one rises above uninspired consciousness into a totally inspired state of being there is literally no fear present.

So I do not have to experience fear. If men and women are capable of rising above fear altogether, then there is no reason why I cannot choose to rise above fear altogether.

This is my goal ... to teach others fearlessness by showing others the fearlessness that I am in spirit.

If I rise above and stay above fear, then I teach by example what is possible. As I teach what is possible with respect to fearlessness, men and women will want to follow me. Not because they need a leader, but because they want a teacher who teaches them to be out of fear. Nobody wants to stay in fear ... not really.

As others learn from me that fear is unnecessary and unnatural, then there will be less and less demand for fear-motivated organizations such as governments.

This week as I waken each morning I tell myself at least 10 or 15 times:

"By rising above fear this day and staying above fear this day, I am teaching freedom."

Then throughout each day this week I will be diligent to not ignore even the least little fear that rises within me. I will notice each twinge of fear, look squarely at each fear, and tell myself some form of this week's idea such as:

"My spirit does not fear this at all ... and I will not abandon my spirit and teach fear to my brothers and sisters."

Here are some examples of how I might change my thinking and my feeling through the day, as a result teaching freedom:

People who are afraid of what might happen to them in old age support government interference. But if I catch myself thinking limitation thoughts about old age I will stop ... and tell myself instead:

"My spirit does not fear what can happen to me in old age. I will NOT get caught up in fearing this, and my brothers and sisters will learn from my example."

The man in the street who is afraid of not being able to pay for medical costs may vote for government intrusion. But if I catch myself thinking limitation-thoughts related to illness or medical emergencies I will stop... and tell myself instead:

"My spirit does not fear illness or medical emergencies. I will NOT get caught up in such fears, and the world will learn from me not to live in such fears."

Voters who are deathly afraid of poverty call for political intervention. But if I catch myself fearing poverty I will stop ... and tell myself instead:

"My spirit laughs at the thought of poverty. So will I laugh at the thought of poverty and in time everyone will rise above poverty fears and laugh with me."

At the end of each day this week, I will review my day and see if I have stopped limitation-thoughts and fears, replacing them with thoughts of unlimited well-being as my spirit would have me think.

Then just before I go to sleep I feel truly grateful that instead of the part of my mind that thinks limitation thoughts and generates fear, I am putting in charge the part of my mind known as my spirit.



The device which more deeply prepares freedom lovers for success, A Course in Miracles , talks about our ultimate need to free ourselves from every kind of slavery:

You have been told to bring the darkness to the light, and guilt to holiness. And you have also been told that error must be corrected at its source. Therefore, it is the tiny part of your self, the little thought that seems split off and separate, that the Holy Spirit needs. The rest is fully in God's keeping, and needs no guide. But this wild and delusional thought needs help, because, in its delusions, it thinks it is the Son of God, whole and omnipotent, sole ruler of the kingdom it set apart to tyrannize by madness into obedience and slavery.



Also available free of charge online:
Course in Relationship Miracles


No comments: