Saturday

Course in Political Miracles: Lesson 28



"First things first creates the lasting."

To this point, the lessons of this course have not given specific political "how to" instructions because even with the greatest instructions in the world no truly lasting good can be built without a spiritual base. So these lessons have placed first things first: spiritual development before political success.

First things first means a foundation is built upon which later success is assured. Success without such a foundation is short-lived at most and invariably followed by a painfully disastrous fall. On the other hand, when a spiritual foundation is built first, then the inevitable political success that follows is of a lasting nature.

If the men and women who founded the United States had been spiritually open enough, they would have seen clearly that a government financed by immoral means fosters immorality, greed, hardship for its citizens, and eventual destruction and death. The founders accepted taxation as a necessary evil because they were not spiritually clear enough to see that government financed by evil cannot be non-evil.

No spiritually opened person would hold a gun to the head of a neighbor and demand the neighbor's money to spend on pet projects, even if such projects were perceived as most beneficial. On the same principle, no spiritually opened person would want a government financed by taxation.

Those who are highly interested in political freedom and those who are truly interested in morality have no separate interests. Their interests are one and the same. But a foundation needs to be built spiritually first, or what is being built politically will crumble.

This week I remind myself to always focus on first things first. I remind myself that I might feel inner guidance to be active in any number of ways politically, but all the activity in the world will gain nothing lasting unless preceded by spiritual opening.

When I wake up each day this week, I ask myself:

"What is more important to me this day? Political goals? Or the spiritual awareness that makes political goals worth achieving?"

Then each hour during the day I repeat to myself several times the statement of this week's lesson:

"First things first creates the lasting. I value my spiritual opening above all else ... and all else follows."

My task is to say this to myself so often that I put myself in-touch with a deeper inner desire than I've ever felt for spiritual opening.

Then each day before retiring for the day, I remind myself once more with great joy:

"I AM creating political freedom by opening to my spiritual freedom first."





The device which even more deeply prepares freedom lovers for success, A Course in Miracles , talks about our ultimate need to free ourselves from every kind of slavery:

You have been told to bring the darkness to the light, and guilt to holiness. And you have also been told that error must be corrected at its source. Therefore, it is the tiny part of your self, the little thought that seems split off and separate, that the Holy Spirit needs. The rest is fully in God's keeping, and needs no guide. But this wild and delusional thought needs help, because, in its delusions, it thinks it is the Son of God, whole and omnipotent, sole ruler of the kingdom it set apart to tyrannize by madness into obedience and slavery.



Also available free of charge online:
Course in Relationship Miracles


No comments: